Making your daughter a cool birthday party with a trendy theme doesn’t have to cost a fortune. You can find birthday party themes for tween girls that are reasonable.
Dollar stores, thrift stores, DIY and even borrowing items can make even your eye-rolling tween squeal with delight over one of these birthday party ideas for any tween girl.
Most of the party decorations shown below can give you ideas that you can end up making yourself. Better yet your tween can make them.
Simply to avoid repeating myself below in each party theme and just plain sounding weird, a few thoughts on drinks and birthday cakes I have learned after 3 kids.
- Kids will abandon them unfinished everywhere. The exception is juice pouches which will be empty in one sip
- Having bottles of soda or a punch bowl will cost far less and reduce waste
- Names on cups will reduce that even more
- 45 Best Party Juice Recipes for a Crowd: Perfect Drinks to Serve at Your Next Gathering
- Cakes can be amazing but may require huge amounts of time, energy, and money. In my experience, they don’t get eaten and are sometimes barely touched especially if you have lots of other foods.
- Cupcakes, however, will get eaten no matter what. Even when they come out fugly looking.
If you need party planning printables here are a few to help. (direct downloadable link)
This post contains affiliate links. I will earn a commission at no additional charge to you if you make a purchase using my links. Click here to see my full disclosure policy.
Off-season or bad weather doesn’t have to ruin this idea.
Images of girls screaming at the sound of noises in the yard make this indoor idea sound much better.
Indoor bathrooms and bugless campouts make it even better.
Whether creating one huge tent with sheets, a real pop-up tent or individual tents make this party theme so much fun to put into motion.
What you need:
- A tent or tents…this doesn’t need to be expensive…borrow if you don’t want to make one 😉
- A “fire” pit – create this with rolled brown towels to simulate logs and add red, yellow and orange tissue paper with battery-operated candles, mini lanterns, or glow sticks for the fire.
- Beach/camping chairs or bean bags
Tween Glamping Party Food
- Hot dogs
- Make your own sundae bar
Tween Glamping Party Decor
3-D large decorative cardboard campfire centerpiece 1425Ft G40 Globe String Lights with Clear Bulbs,UL listed Backyard Patio Lights,Hanging Indoor/Outdoor String Lights for Bistro Pergola Deckyard Tents Market Cafe Gazebo Porch Letters Party Decor, BlackExploding Kittens Card Game
Tween Glamping Party Games
- Flashlight tag
- Truth or dare
- Scavenger hunt
- Board games
125+ Best Girls Sleepover Ideas for Teens and Tweens
This is one party theme that you can make super simple or really run with it.
Decide if you will do facials, manicures, pedicures, hairstyles, or all of the above.
This party theme works best with a few adults to help out, especially if you are offering different spa services.
We even have a local salon that offers this service on days they are normally closed.
The one my daughter attended had two ladies present, one did mani/pedis and the other parent did hair do’s.
They provided pizza, snacks and smoothies served in pineapple drink cups.
If doing it at home you will need:
For pedicures and manicures:
- Dishpans to soak feet or bowls for hands
- Nail polishes
- Cotton balls
- Nail files
- Polish remover
- Nail art kit …we have this one
- Flip flops, girls can bring theirs or you can have these on hand
- Facial masks
- Bowls for washing
- Warm face cloths…keep them warm in a crockpot
Pre-teens have sensitive skin. Make sure to watch for any redness, tingling, or itching. Remove and rinse well immediately if there is any reaction.
- Individual brushes
- Hair Elastics
- Bobby pins
- Colors – make sure to get parent permission 😉
Fun Party Theme Extras
If you want to get fancy you can have robes for the girls to wear or microfiber towels…they can then be the take-home gifts.
Whether waffle style, kimono, or plush and fluffy at least it’s more practical than cheap toys that get lost or thrown away…since most of them are super annoying….hello whistles and gel toys that leak….?😒
ALEX Spa Hair Chalk SalonSmartLab Toys All-Natural Lip Balm Boutique
- Fruit smoothies
- Yogurt bar
- Fruit and cheese tray
- Fruit-infused water
Buddeez 14401C-ONL Party Top New Beverage Dispenser, 1.75 gallon, Clear
- Create a sign offering the “services”
- Set up a booth for each service
- Create a relaxing setting by adding some fun tween magazines to the coffee table and some mood music.
SpaTheme Party Games
- Spa Bingo
- Spin the Nail Polish Bottle
- DIY Flip Flop Craft
Footcandy Original Pedicure Slipper 12-pair Party Pack
One of my favorite ideas is a photo booth set up…many kids at this age have cell phones but how about using an instant camera so that you can print out photos right away.
With enough props and some imagination, a photo booth could be a party theme all by itself.
Big Dot of Happiness Spa Day – Photo Booth Props Kit – 20 CountFujifilm Instax Mini 9 Instant Camera – Ice BlueHP Sprocket Portable Photo Printer, X7N07A, Print Social Media Photos on 2×3 Sticky-Backed Paper – White
Instead of purchasing favors or playing party games you can combine the two and have the girls make their own spa products.
If you do this activity first, these could also be used for the spa portion.
Girls’ night outings for painting are a thing to do around here but it could easily be a fun activity for your next girl party idea.
What you need:
- Aprons – these could be personalized with puffy fabric paint
- Don’t want the mess, try oil pastels like one of these or …search for make your own art studios in your area and book a party!
Art Themed Party Food
- Pretzel rods dipped in different color frosting look like paint brushes.
- Palettes can be used to fill with candies, jello or fruits of varying colors.
- Cupcakes can be frosted in different colors or left white and decorated with rainbow jimmies or m & m’s
Pictures of the artists with their masterpieces is a must.
Again photo booths are a cool way to mark a special day. Don’t want to purchase a photo booth kit, use a few thrift store frames re-painted in bright colors.
Paint sample cards from the store can be had for free and make great supplies for making your own decorations, favors, invitations, and even crafts.
- Blindfolded artists
- Musical painting (like musical chairs, stop when the music does)
- Similar to the art theme is a craft party, see below.
Donuts seem to be one of the hottest new birthday party ideas for tween girls and even bedroom themes.
Tween Donut Party Food
This couldn’t be any easier than well, duh…donuts. Buy donuts and be done.
But you could set up a make your own donuts station, make donut pops, munchkins or make a variety beforehand.
Wilton Non-Stick 6-Cavity Donut Baking Pans, 2-Count3-Pack Silicone Donut Baking Pan of 100% Nonstick Silicone. BPA Free Mold Sheet Tray. Makes Perfect 3 Inch Donuts. Tray Measures 10×7 Inches. Easy Clean, Dishwasher Microwave SafeBabycakes Multi-Treat Baker
Tween Donut Party Decor
No theme is complete without the party decor to go with it.
If you want to do it yourself try:
- Start with 2 vinyl table cloths in different colors. Use one as your base and use the second one to create frosting by cutting a wavy edge all the way around. Layer them for your table decor, a banner, or use them as a backdrop for photos.
- Skinny balloons to look like sprinkles
Amazon makes it so easy…so many donut party accessories and supplies.
Mehofoto Donut Birthday Backdrop Donut Grow Up Party Backdrops for Birthday 7×5 Sprinkles Birthday Party Background for Kids Children Newborn Baby Birthday Decorations SuppliesBedwina Plush Donuts with Sprinkles – (Pack of 12) 1 Dozen Stuffed Donut Pillow Toy Party Favors and Donut Party Supplies Decorations for KidsJust Artifacts 12inch Donut Party Hanging Paper Lanterns (Sprinkles Pattern, 3pcs)Creative Converting (324239) 10-Piece Photo Props For Party, Donut TimeTINYMILLS 24 Pcs Donuts Stampers for Kids
Party Games for Donut Theme
Kids love party games. Try these to make your party a success.
- Donut decorating contest
- Donut eating contest – hang one donut per person from a string. Tie their hands behind their backs and the first one to eat their donut is a winner
- Donut piñata
Make Your Own Pizza Party
You can’t go wrong with this party since what tween doesn’t love pizza.
Since this revolves around making pizzas, there are several ways you could go with this.
Depending on your skill level or patience level, LOL, you could go the simplest of routes and start with frozen cheese pizzas and provide multiple toppings.
If you’d rather you could use a ready-made crust and buy sauce, shredded cheese, and toppings. We buy these and all really like them.
You could do personal-sized or full-sized pizzas.
You could even do mini-pizzas by using English muffins.
If you’re even braver and have tried it ahead of time, go with fresh ready-made dough and let the kids knead out the dough, make the size they want, and of course provide all sorts of toppings.
If you know what you’re doing, which I definitely don’t, you could even make dough from scratch.
I’m good at cooking some things, but scratch ingredients that are then baked are one thing I cannot do even after all these years. Except for this recipe.
But if that’s you, go for it.
Unless you really know what the guests like, most kids aren’t particularly adventurous when it comes to toppings so keep it simple with just a few like pepperoni, pineapple, and bacon bits.
If you do want to provide a lot more try asking ahead or make the quantity of each type less.
Unless you plan to eat all those leftovers.
Then again, if parents of guests stay, they could make their own pizzas too.
Red checkered table decor transforms your party into a cute pizzeria and is simple for clean up.
Since this one could get messy, cute chef hats and aprons to cover up clothes provide a way to keep kids clean and give the guests something to take home.
If you have or know someone with a Cricut, iron-on vinyl patches for the hats and aprons of a pizza and their names could be made pretty simply.
Pizza Party Games
- Design an apron
- Pizza topping name game (list a topping for each letter a-z)
- Pin the Pepperoni on the Pizza
This is a super easy theme to go with for an afternoon, evening, or sleepover. Indoors or out.
The bigger the screen the better.
But since most of us don’t have the luxury of a theater room there are ways to make it possible without breaking the bank.
If you don’t have a large tv, want to make it bigger, or even take it outside you can get a projector and screen for under $100.
Yes, that may seem expensive but so many people spend a fortune on parties and most of the items can’t be used again.
This setup can be used time and time again for family movie nights, enjoying sports, and binge-watch parties.
Even imagine fierce gaming competitions of Fortnite or Just Dance.
Which could be birthday party ideas all by themselves.
As for the movie, it all depends on the crowd.
Guest ages and temperaments need to be thought of.
Some kids don’t do well with scary movies.
Even ones that don’t seem scary to most kids can cause problems for others.
After seeing a Goosebumps episode at someone’s house, my daughter became a regular visitor into our bed.
Even at 13, she still sometimes ends up on the floor of our room.
She loves Stranger Things, but anything with dolls, forget it!
So unless you’ve spoken to parents, you may want to opt out of choosing something even mildly scary.
Kids at this age may not want to tell their friends they’re afraid. Take it out of their hands and find out from parents the real deal and let the tweens save face with their friends.
Also too, at this age there starts being a wide separation between what some parents allow their kids to watch.
Adult themes, language, and violence all get differing rules from different families.
Perhaps there is a favorite movie they’d all like to watch over again.
Maybe the invites could include a listing of a few choices to vote on and a write-in spot?
Movie Party Food
Just about any snack food would go with this type of party.
If you want to go all out and make it like a real movie theater or drive-in experience you could create your own concession stand complete with a popcorn maker, hot dogs, nachos, pizza, even snow cones.
Oh, and don’t forget the candy.
Bulk purchase mini bags or buy larger bags and create a candy bar.
It can get crazy or keep it simple.
Using an air popper and some fun popcorn buckets.
Movie Theme Party Decor
Set up some beach chairs, even in your living room complete with blankets.
Or create lounging spots with lots of pillows or beanbag chairs.
You could even build cardboard cars around them for fun.
How about putting up movie posters and a ticket booth?
You could try getting a refrigerator box to make this one inexpensive and easy.
A younger sibling might like to pretend to be the ticket taker or work the concession stand “selling” candy and lemonade.
Movie-Themed Party Games
- Movie Quote Game
- Movie Bingo
- Movie Trivia
Many girls love crafts.
There are many ideas or party themes within a theme like a slime party you could go with.
Pinterest is filled with ideas for each of these crafts.
- Mini-fairy gardens
- Tshirt designs with a Cricut Easy Press
- Make your own jewelry
- Resin crafts
- Paint sample crafts
- Make your own crystals
- Make candles
- String art
- Scrapbooking – have them bring photos from home or have on-demand photos to use
- Washi tape crafts
- Make your own beauty products
Craft Themed Food, Decor, and Games
Many of the ideas listed for the art-themed party would work well for this party too. It would also depend on the type of crafts you might be offering.
Use this post to find a quote to create a unique piece of wall art for strong girls or these affirmations to make your own self-esteem-boosting cards.
Need more ideas for crafts your tweens can do for a party?
- 20+ Craft Ideas for Tweens
- DIY Jewelry Crafts for Tweens
- 125+ Best Girls Sleepover Ideas for Teens and Tweens
Cupcake Wars Birthday Party
My daughter just suggested this birthday theme idea.
While it does sound like quite a bit of work and could be messy, it really does sound like a great time.
Rather than go into great detail on this one, Laura over at Make Life Lovely has a perfect post about this type of party.
From her explanation to her ideas I couldn’t have said it any better.
She even includes free printables to make party awards, logos for aprons to wear for the party, and more.
Here’s the link to this amazing party.
What tween girl doesn’t like to sing. You can use a karaoke machine or this super cool microphone that works with an app on your phone using Youtube videos or Spotify. Some cable companies even offer karaoke options.
Karaoke Party Food
Foods can be things like rock candy or pop rocks. Taking it another direction would be as if it was a concert and have a concession stand foods like hot dogs, popcorn, pizza, and nachos.
Cupcakes made in small ice cream cones can look like microphones.
- Invitations on lanyards to look like V.I.P backstage passes
- Make-up station decorated like a dressing room complete with a personalized star on each chair
- Singing contest
- Lip Sync Battle
- Mystery Singer – blindfold a guest and try to guess the singer
- Name that Lyric – match the lyric to the song
- Music Trivia – guests have to name the artist and song. Guest with the most correct answers wins
Similar to this is a TikTok-inspired theme like this amazing party.
Just Make It A Fun Birthday Party
Birthday parties for tweens don’t’ have to be expensive to be fun…I know Pinterest and Facebook make it seem that all the birthday parties are over the top perfect but they really don’t have to be.
- 43 Party Games for Teenagers
- 61 Outdoor Party Games for Teens That Are Perfect for Summer
- 77 Outdoor Toys for Teens to Have Fun All Summer Long
- 45 Best Party Juice Recipes for a Crowd: Perfect Drinks to Serve at Your Next Gathering
- 49 Outdoor Scavenger Hunt for Teens: Ideas They’ll Love (2022)
I hope one of these ideas can inspire you to create a party your tween girl will love.
Other Birthday Party Themes For Tween Girls
Other cool party ideas for tweens… tacos, emojis, sharks, llamas, flamingos, scavenger hunt, laser tag, pool party, escape room, and glow-in-the-dark.
A quick idea on party favors…
Don’t want to use the birthday theme and send the kids home with more junk?
I love this unique idea from Cas at Get Your Holiday On.
So easy and the best part is it’s usable.
If you’re looking for gift ideas for girls…I’ve got you covered…
- 46 Perfect Gifts for Cheerleaders
- Awesome Gift Ideas for Tween Girls
- Subscription Boxes for Tween Girls
- 125+ Gifts for Teenage Girls
- 50+Valentine Gifts for Girls
- Buying Guide: How to Choose a Trampoline
- 39 Gifts for Volleyball Players That Spike Excitement
For even more party ideas your daughter might like,
Now it’s your turn, what are the best birthday party themes for tween girls you’ve done?
PIN ME 😘
Sunday 9th of October 2022
OMG Thanks so much, i am having a party in november and it helps how you have these themes, thanks again
Wednesday 12th of October 2022
Hi Sophie, I am so glad you enjoyed the party theme ideas. You can find a bunch more party ideas including party games, activities, foods, and more by going here: https://www.pardonmemycrownslipped.com/home-hearth/parties-and-entertainng/ Thanks for commenting. Have a great party🎉🥳
Wednesday 12th of September 2018
For me, what's really fun about a glamping party aside from the adventurous vibe is the talks made in those moments. It calls for honest and open talks between the girls! :)
Wednesday 12th of September 2018
Karen, you are so right! When I was that age we didn't have themes but every girl's birthday meant a group sleepover and surely those memories of talking about boys and parents and all. the. things. still mean everything to me today. Thanks for commenting.